This rooting guide is not working anymore with new xperia play phones, peoples are reporting sim card problems. so don’t follow this method until you know what you are doing
Newbies can try this method , and no need to unlock boot loaders
Android phones are very powerful but without rooting you cant use them at their best. Before taking any action if you want to know what is android root and why we must have a rooted android then Go here
Today we have an another Guide on How to root you Xperia Play. here I will teach you complete process on how to unlock boot loader and then root your Xperia Play.
These words like- rooting,boot loader,cmd prompt,terminal etc. sounds strange but don’t confuse rooting is very easy task and when you will familiar with these words you will love them.
Here we have two tasks for Rooting Xperia play –
1. Unlock Boot loader.
2. Root it.
(I). Unlocking Sony Xperia Play Boot Loader
- We need two things to Download before unlocking boot loader– First Fast boot package ,second Sony Ericsson drivers
- Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com/instructions at the bottom of page you will see a red continue button click on it ,accept warnings and enter IMEI no. ,name,e-mail when asked (Dial *#06# to know your phone’s IMEI ).
- Now you will get your unique unlock key
- Switch off your phone . hold the “search” button, now while holding the “search” button connect your phone to your PC with an USB cable. Windows will show an error in installing the drivers. This is where we use the Drivers we downloaded earlier
- Now extract file driver.rar you got in first step and go to “device manager” on your pc and look for “S1Boot Fastboot” under “other devices” .
- Right click on “S1Boot Fastboot” and select “update driver software”. Now browse my computer for driver software and select the Driver folder which is created when we extract driver.rar , make sure you have checked include subfolder
- click next and when windows warning pop up select “install this driver software anyway” .Wait for “Windows has successfully updated your driver software” message to appear on your screen. Now click Close.
- Now Extract fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar file open extracted folder
- Now hold shift and press mouse right click anywhere on empty white space inside the fastboot folder and select “Open command windows here”
- Now in the command prompt window type/paste the following:
fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
It should return a value like “0.3”. This ensures that your device is correctly connected.
Now type/paste the following line in the command prompt window:
fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY
IMPORTANT! Replace the word “KEY” from the above line with the KEY that you received in Step 3 Then hit Enter.
Now wait for the process to complete. Command prompt will show a “Finished” message when it will be completed. Once it’s done, disconnect the USB cable from your phone and switch it ON. Your phone’s boot loader should now be unlocked.
IMPORTANT! Watch Video below by theandroidsoul.com for more explanation ,please note this video is showing how to unlock boot loader of Xperia Arc , but Unlocking process for Xperia play and Xperia Arc is same.here is little change is press “search key” on Xperia play while connecting to pc while in Arc press “menu Key”
II. Rooting Xperia Play
- download the necessary Root Package http://www.multiupload.com/U9Z2YJ2FAJ
- copy it to the fastboot folder mentioned in the earlier section .Note down the name of the .img file you just downloaded. In the provided package the name is play_modded.img Once you are done copying it
- open Command Prompt there as we did earlier by Holding Shift + press Right Click then clicking Open Command Prompt here. ( In Linux and Mac open Terminal.)
Enter this command:
fastboot flash system YOURDOWNLOADEDFILE.img
fastboot -i 0x0fce flash system YOURDOWNLOADEDFILE.img
fastboot-mac -i 0x0fce flash system YOURDOWNLOADEDFILE.img
Now wait while file is flashed onto your phone .Reboot and enjoy rooted power of android