After getting unlocked bootloader and rooting access in Sony Xperia Sola let’s begin the exciting ride of custom firmware and custom apps. As you all know Sony Xperia Sola is one of the the latest handset among all.
Usually it comes along with the older Gingerbread base and so most of the users faces some lagging problem in it. By this mean and till awaiting for any ICS update for it, XDA developers created it’s first custom ROM just few days ago.
This custom firmware is known as “SSpeed”, having the latest Gingerbread base, as Android 2.3.7. SSpeed also comes along with many exciting features and fixes, take a look below-
Features of SSpeed
- Runs on latest Gingerbread base, Android 2.3.7
- init.d support
- Lag fix
- More fast in processing
- Statusbar toggles
- Lots of tweaks
- Swipe to remove notification
- Easy UI
- 30 steps media volume + smooth spinner mod
- Hide data notifications
- ICS transition animations
- Better camera app
- All stock features
- New wallpapers
- New phone off charging animation
These feature must be attracted, and so today we going to guide you a easy tutorial to update this SSpeed custom ROM in your Sony Xperia Sola. Let me introduce you again about the update, below-
Short description and most considerable info about the Update
- Installing firmware- SSpeed Custom ROM
- Firmware base- Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread
- Just for- Sony Xperia Sola
- Firmware status- Custom/ Not officially released via Sony
- Firmware developers- XDA developers
This update needs unlocked bootloader in your Sola, and these kind of tasks will void your warranty. Kindly perform this tutorial, if you are an advance user and you are well known to the concept of unlocking bootloader, rooting, custom ROMs.
Disclaimer: We are are not responsible for any kind of error or damage to your device cause of using any kind of info of this tutorial. So do anything only at your own risk.
Now let’s head to the way to update Sony Xperia Sola using this below tutorial. Perform every step of the tutorial carefully@@@@@@
Tutorial to Update Sony Xperia Sola with SSpeed Custom ROM Firmware
Step. Download these required files
- SSpeed Custom ROM Firmware Package. Get it here
- Fastboot. You can also get it with SDK package from here
Step . Prepare your phone (pre-requisites)
You can also use our brief and more efficient guide on preparing the phone before an update, by follow the below link-
(a). Make backup of all your important data such as SD card, SMS, Contacts, Call logs and APN and MMS settings, to avoid the risk of losing data cause of sudden error during the process. Use the below recommend link-
Note: Don’t use the pc suite for backup, cause these kind of backup is usually not detectable by custom ROMs.
(b). Must ensure that your phone is bootloader unlocked, otherwise unlock it first before proceeding further. Use below link-
(c). Disable all kind of security suites and firewalls such as antivirus, to avoid interruption during the process.
(d). Must enable the USB debugging mode by following- Settings>>Applications>>Developments>> USB debugging. And here just ticked the “USB debugging” option.
(e). Charge your Sony Xperia Sola at least 70%
Note: Install the latest Sony drivers in your PC compatible to your device.
Step . Follow below procedure to flash the firmware
1. Extract the downloaded firmware package, and copy the particular (.img) file from it, to the folder which contains the fastboot binaries.
2. Also Copy the downloaded SSpeed firmware package in root of your phone’s SD card, by connecting the phone to the PC with the help of original USB cable of your phone.
Note:- Don’t place the firmware file in deep of your SD card, it will hard to detect.
3. Switch off your Sony Xperia Sola.
4. Press and hold the ‘Volume Up’ of your Xperia Sola and then connect it to PC using it’s original USB cable, so you can land in fast boot mode. (Make sure led light of phone turns blue)
5. Launch the command prompt as clicking on “commandprompt.bat“ file inside the folder where the Fastboot binaries are exist.
6. Now enter the command “fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version” in command prompt and if you will get any response such as “0.3” or any other then it means your phone is perfectly connected.
7. After that enter the below command (to flash the .img file) in the command prompt-
fastboot flash boot XXXX.img
In the above command just replace “XXXX” with the file name of .img file that we copied earlier from extracting the zip package.
8. A “finished” message will appear, when the above flashing process has finish, after that just disconnect your phone safely from the PC.
9. Now turn off your phone and reboot it in recovery mode.
For primary users: Take a look on the below key configuration, so you can easily work in recovery or bootloader mode.
To move up/down- Use Volume up/ Volume down button
To Choose an option- Use Home/ Power button
10. In recovery mode menu follow the path- “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and then browse and select the copied firmware package (.zip).
11. Confirm “yes” start flashing the firmware zip.
12. Wait for few minutes to over the flashing process, after flashing you will again land up in recovery mode.
13. Choose “Go back” and come to the recovery’s main menu.
14. Now wipe out the cache by- follow the path “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”>> “Wipe cache”.
15. Again come back to the recovery’s main menu and restart the device by choosing the option “reboot system now”.
Congratulation! You have successfully updated your Sony Xperia Sola with the new “SSpeed” custom ROM firmware.
For more queries heads over to XDA developers
Thanks to AndroidAdvices