Latest cyanogen mod 10 is now offers the latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to our very beloved Nexus S. This new CM 10 messed up with the latest jelly bean as it’s base. There are lots of new and interesting features are introduced in this CM 10. Having latest CM 10 and jelly bean gives an ideal performance to your Nexus S. You should know that this an custom firmware and still need rooting access with Custom recovery installed in your Nexus S.
Screenshots of CM 10 in Nexus S
In the rest of this article we summed up a easy tutorial for you to update Nexus S with this CM 10. But first take a look on some important update info just below for more clarification.
Important Info About the Update and Firmware
- Firmware update to- Cyanogen Mod 10 (Latest)
- Firmware version- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- Update Status- Custom / Not Officially released via Samsung or Google
- Just for (Compatible device)- Nexus S
- Update needs- rooting access and custom recovery installed in your Nexus S.
Be aware- Rooting and installing custom firmware in any android device will void the device warranty. To get the warranty claim back, you have to revoke these process with the default configuration of your device.
Recommend- Kindly perform this tutorial, if you are an advance user and you are well known to the concept of rooting and custom ROMs.
Update Nexus S to Cyanogen Mod 10 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Custom ROM Firmware [Tutorial]
Step . Download some required files for flashing below
- Stock CM 10 Jelly Bean 4.1 firmware package for Nexus S. [Download it here]
- Google apps package. [Download it here]
Disclaimer:- We are are not responsible for any kind of error or damage to your device cause of using any kind of info of this tutorial. Do anything only at your own risk.
Step . Prepare your phone and PC (pre-requisites)
Recommend link for this step- Preparing your Android Device Before Upgrading Firmware
Make backup of all important data- How to backup your Android Device before upgrading firmware
Note:- Don’t use pc suite for backup cause it won’t be working for custom ROMs.
- Must enable the USB debugging mode in Nexus S by following path- Settings>>Applications>>Developments>> USB debugging. And here just ticked the “USB debugging” option.
- Ensure that your Nexus S should be rooted and custom recovery installed. Use below recommended links or your web browser to find it.
Tip:- Use “4 Ways to Identify if your Android Device is Rooted” guide on androidflip to check your Device is rooted or not.
- Disable all kind of security suites and firewalls such as antivirus from both PC and android device, to avoid interruption during the process.
- Charge your Nexus S at least 70%.
- Ensure your android device is only Nexus S cause of this update can only compatible for it, so if you have not the right thing or device then don’t ever try this update on any other device.
You can check about your phone in detail by – Follow Settings>> About Phone in your phone.
Step . Follow below procedure to flash Cyanogen Mod 10 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Firmware on Nexus S
1. First you have to copy both the downloaded files as stock CM 10 firmware package and Google apps package (Zip) in root of your phone’s SD card.
Note:- Don’t place the files in deep of your SD card, it will hard to detect.
2. Switch off your Nexus S.
3. Reboot your Nexus S in recovery mode by- press and hold “Volume Up” and then press the power button to switch on the phone in recovery mode.
For primary users:- Take a look on the below key configuration, so you can easily work in recovery mode.
To move up/down- Use Volume up/ Volume down button
To Choose an option- Use Home/ Power button
4. In recovery mode, you have to follow- “install zip from sd card”>> “choose zip from sd card” for flashing the firmware.
5. Now browse and select the CM 10 custom ROM firmware package (Zip) that we copied earlier in root of SD card. Next, confirm it to flash.
6. Wait until the flashing process will complete, it will take about 5-7 minutes.
7. After flashing of firmware “Go back” to the main recovery menu and again use the same step 4 to flash the Google apps.
8. After finish of flashing come to the main recovery menu, so choose “Go Back”.
9. Now just reboot the phone by choosing the option “reboot system now”.
Note:- If your device get stuck between the process or failed to reboot to the new custom ROM, then just pull out the phone’s battery and reinsert it, and task the whole procedure again.
Congratulation! You have successfully updated your Nexus S with Cyanogen Mod 10 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Custom ROM Firmware.
For more queries about the update heads to XDA Developers.